Sunday, August 9, 2009

Interview with M.I.C.E. member Theresa Thompson

Hello again, I am back from a glorious vacation in Italy and when I returned I had a lovely interview sitting in my e-mail in-box just waiting for me to post. Our featured M.I.C.E. member this time round is Theresa Thompson of TiLT creations, She has also been recently featured on Seeds Studio Blog in Scottie's mini M.I.C.E. interviews. Theresa has a considerable Web presence and definitely knows how to market her wonderful creations you can read and follow her blogs (listed at end of interview) and follow her day to day adventures on Twitter.


Introduce yourself, tell us where you're located and describe your work:
My name is Theresa & I run Tilt Creations here in Oak Park. I have lived in Michigan my whole life and crafting for the better part of it. I currently focus on my handmade handbags. Lately I have been doing quite a bit of hand embroidery which I am incorporating into my bags - mostly messenger bags. I plan to branch out a bit to do more arts & crafts that I enjoy.


Grr Argh Black Denim Messenger Bag, Hand Embroidered

How did you get starting crafting?
I have always painted, especially if you count fingerpainting :) It was not until my oldest wanted to be Robin Hood for Halloween...a, um "few" years ago (almost a decade & a half now)...that I began sewing. I am self taught and quickly became addicted to it. I dabble in a bit of everything I can get my hands on - paper, clay, glass, jewelry...and always look to learn more. It is much different than what I did before I became a full time mom...I was an exercise physiologist working cardiac rehab. That involved a very different kind of creativity.


How did you find Etsy?
I was researching how to become a legitimate crafting business when I ran across Etsy in several books. So I popped on over there & did a test run as a buyer before I signed up to sell.


Handbag - Pink Paisley Ann Twist

What's your favorite part of being a Michigan Crafter?
I really like how welcome I feel in the groups online & at craft shows. I have not yet jumped into a crafting circle or anything, although I would like to.

Mocha Blue Spirofloral Zip Pouch

What advice would you give to others who are interested in starting an Etsy
shop?

Follow Nike's advice and "just do it". And be patient. Etsy is a very big place and it can take a while until that first sale, or it can be the next day. I have known some people that gave up after only a month of trying to sell online - you need to give it time, just as you would in the "real world". Just keep crafting & keep listing...and get to know your camera & editing program. Pictures are very very important online. I am always trying to improve in this area - it is an ongoing learning experience - just like crafting.

Handbag in Brown and Pink Blooms

What are your plans for the future of your craft business?
I am bad when it comes to this - I admit, I have no solid plans. I just want to continue to learn more crafts, get better at those I do now & never stop.

What is you favorite inspirational place to visit in Michigan?
A great fabric store like Habermans in Royal oak can always get my creative juices flowing. But so can anyplace with great people watching like the zoo and downtown Ferndale & Royal Oak. Just seeing what other people have on or are carrying can get me thinking of new designs & styles. My own home can be great too - my kids are so creative & imaginative - I never know what they may say or do to trigger an idea.

Mollie Clutch in Green Skulls

Anything else you would like to share with MICE?
Just that I look forward to meeting more of you & hopefully joining in some of the fun in person. And looking forward to spending some Sundays in Ann Arbor's Artisan Market.


Thank You Theresa, You have a fun and quirky sense of style and have translated this into beautiful bags.

TiLT creations handmade handbags and accessories can be found at the following sites www.tiltcreations.artfire.com
www.tiltcreations.etsy.com
www.tiltcreations.crobbies.com
www.tilttoo.etsy.com

Blogs: www.tiltcreationstoo.blogspot.com
www.tiltcreations.blogspot.com
www.tilttreasures.blogspot.com


photos: www.flickr.com/photos/tiltcreations/
follow me at
Twitter: http://twitter.com/tiltcreations
Plurk: http://www.plurk.com/tiltcreations
ByHand: http://tiltcreations.byhand.me

Posted by Ashley

5 comments: